Thursday, May 24, 2007

Shredder

Since I work in a law office, I wear slacks, a dress shirt and tie every day. I lucked out that Tom, having been a high-powered city slicker lawyer all those years, had a ton of ties and when he hit retirement had no intention of ever wearing one again. So I have lots of ties without having had to invest anything.

This morning when I was shredding documents -- we do a lot of that in a law office -- a page slipped behind the shredder. Although I am usually very conscious of the tie when I am around the shredder, this time I just leaned over and the shredder grabbed the tie and began to do its best to destroy it. Luckily I happened to be leaning over right by the electrical outlet and pulled the plug before it had eaten too much tie. I then reversed the shred and was able to get it out. The tie -- probably my favorite, naturally! -- was not totally destroyed. It looks like Sundance or Cassidy decided to paw at it with claws extended. I wore it the rest of the day and, unless I pointed it out, no one seemed to notice But I think this is the end of that lovely tie. (Not green like that hideous one in the photo -- mine is dark blue with very small red dots. Quite classy.)

When I told Evelyn what had happened she asked, "Did your life flash before your eyes?"

"No, but my stupidity did."

No comments: