Friday, February 29, 2008

The little things

Saturday, March 1 is the feast of St. David of Wales (c. 500-589) in the Roman Catholic and Anglican (Episcopal) communions. His last words to his followers were along the lines of what has become a Welsh proverb: Gwnewch y pethau bychain mewn bywyd -- Do the little things in life.

There seem to be at least two accounts of the source of our surname of Dodd, but I favor the Welsh tradition because it is so much more fun than just being English, don't you know? For what it's worth, I note that the Welsh version of the family crest or coat of arms has the motto In copia cautus -- Be careful in times of plenty. I think I can make a connection with the little things in life, but I'll let you sort that one out on your own.

I wish his feast had been on March 2, though -- Texas Independence Day and Sam Houston's birthday. I know it would have made Ted happy.

No comments: