Monday, March 23, 2009

More Monday meanderings

Today has been a bit like one of those Family Circus cartoons where Billy wanders all over the place

The day started relatively innocently with Tom announcing that the faucet in the kitchen sink was leaking and he would fix it after I had breakfast. That alone was enough to encourage me to go elsewhere. But I was unable to avoid the temptation of turning it on to witness the leak, and naturally it was no longer leaking. Just a mater of time, I am sure, so I continued with my plans to hide out.

Just as I was heading out the door, Barry called me from Florida. He just does it to gloat over the weather, I think. So after I reported that it was wet and cloudy and cool, he told me how they had sat out on the beach yesterday in the sun. I pretended to be happy for him.

Then I went to the bank and moved some cash from the money market account to a five-month CD where it will get about 10 times the interest. No, literally, ten times. Why didn't I do this months ago?

Then to the library to work on Penultimate, Wisconsin stories. (Mostly editing, I have to admit, not much in the way of creativity this morning.)

I had intended to go from the library to Walmart for an oil change, but I realized I didn't want to leave the laptop and all my banking papers in the car while it was worked on or walk around with a heavy attache case for a half hour. So I came home to drop things off on the way. Tom decided to come over with me and do some shopping while I waited.

Normally this would take about half an hour. Today everyone in the Greater Metropolitan Area decided to get an oil change at the Lake Delton Walmart at lunchtime. So it took more like an hour and a half.

Sigh!

So now it is mid-afternoon, cool (about 40 F, 3.8 C) and we are between bands of rain. That should start up again soon and be off and on most of the rest of the day.

All of which combines to put me and the cats in a nap mood. Tom, on the other hand, took the leaf blower out to clean up some of the yard. Maybe Sundance's snoring will drown it out.

No comments: