Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Wordcrafty

Somehow this morning a conversation about songs led me to remember lines from the first Jonas Brothers song I ever heard -- "Year 3000":
I've been to the year 3000
Not much has changed but they lived under water
I love self-referential or weird things with words like that. Another example is the old Carly Simon hit, "You're So Vain":
You're so vain, you probably think this song is about you
You're so vain, Ill bet you think this song is about you
Don't you? Don't you?
Or things like, "This statement is false."

There's even one in the Bible, where it says in Titus 1:12 "Even one of their own prophets has said, "Cretans are always liars, evil brutes, lazy gluttons." Okay, if a Cretan says that Cretans are always liars, was he lying or telling the truth?

Or what about, "If you try to fail and succeed, did you fail or succeed?"

1 comment:

Sunny said...

Hmmmmm.....Points to ponder!!!!

Michael,
I just read the comment you left on my post "Insanity".
As I was reading the soothing words, I was thinking about my "Happy Place" and how much the place you described is LIKE there and how much time I already spend there in my mind every day.

Then I read the final bit and about spit my sweet iced tea all over myself laughing.

Thanks- I needed that laugh!!!
;-)