Saturday, July 16, 2011

Equinox


Well, we said goodbye to the Vibe and got a new vehicle: a 2011 Equinox. (Thanks, Vince, for your glowing report on the Escape, but we were able to get a better deal on the Equinox.) It seems huge by comparison with the Vibe, but I think that is mainly because it sits higher, one of the things we wanted. Tom and I are getting to that age where it is not so easy to climb up out of a car that is sitting low. We expect to have this one for a number of years and realize we won't be getting any younger or more flexible as time goes by. So we wanted to get a bit more comfort without going all Cadillac on our budget.

It doesn't seem to take up that much more room in the garage, although Tom is out moving things around so that there he can put the snow blower where he wants it come winter.

The Equinox is reported to get 32 mpg highway, but just about everyone says you will probably get less. Still, 28 mpg is probably about right and within the ballpark on what we wanted.

We paid cash and I wrote the largest check I have ever written, or expect to ever write.

Anyway, now Mama won't have to avert her eyes if I pull into her driveway. She thought the Vibe was the ugliest car she had ever seen. There was a lime green Vibe on the lot, and Tom wanted to get it so I could take it home and show it to her as the REALLY ugliest car she would ever see.

Anyway, I am getting used to all the bells and whistles on the Equinox, even though it is the base model. I guess the Vibe, which I liked, was sub-basement. And the higher perch is funny. Now I have to step down to get out of the thing instead of climbing up. Just hope I don't fall!

PS -- That is not our actual Equinox in the photo. I will try to post a picture later.

2 comments:

Tom Scharbach said...

You're just scared to let your folks know how you've decorated the car.

Michael Dodd said...

How I've decorated the car?