Sunday, November 1, 2015

Another NaNoNote

I have a Dictionary.com app on my tablet. Among other things, it provides a word-of-the-day, today's being ferhoodle: to confuse or mix up. 

It comes from the Pennsylvania German country. [As I assume you know, it is properly Pennsylvania Deitsch, meaning German, not Pennsylvania Dutch, meaning Hans Brinker and the silver skates.]

Just for the fun of it, I am going to try each day to work the word-of-the-day into the novel in as natural a way as I can. I admit with ferhoodle, it was a challenge. But I invented an Amish former girlfriend for Wayne's sponsor. Anything is possible. 

Which may or may not be a theme of the book ... 

PS -- Thanks to being driven downstairs to my office by NASCAR and whiny cats, I am now up to 6,939 words. 

2 comments:

Ur-spo said...

I get Dictionary.com too. And Webster's word of the day. I am insatiable for new words.

Anonymous said...

I was telling a friend just last week that all of my favorite words are dying. Inserting the word of the day into your writing is such a wonderful idea. I might experiment with that on my blog.