Saturday, October 22, 2011

Another photo

Angie e-mailed me this photo that they found while helping sort out a bunch of stuff at Mama's house. It was taken by my friend, Fr. Steve Payne, in December 1983, I think. I am standing in front of what was then the Discalced Carmelite Friar's monastery in Brookline, Massachusetts. The property had originally been part of the Cabot estate, and the house had been purchased and given to the friars in 1942. I was stationed there from 1981 to 1985, fist as assistant to the novice master and then as master of postulants. The friars sold the property and moved to another location in Brighton, MA and the new owner eventually tore it down, even though it was on both the state of national registers of historic places. It was a beautiful place, with intricate molded plaster ceilings and about fifteen handcarved fireplace mantles and so on. They salvaged a lot of the artistic architectural features and sold them, but the amazing ceilings were impossible to save.

4 comments:

shera10 said...

Really a handsome carmelite friar!

George Amoss Jr. said...

I spent some time in the Brookline house back in the 1960's, when I was considering a transfer from the O. Carm. minor seminary. The vocation director at the time was named Fr. Simon; he arranged for me to fly to Boston, visit Brookline, and then go to Peterborough.

The Brookline house was a beautiful place. I'd been hoping to find a photo of it somewhere. Thanks!

Carmelite Candle said...

I noticed this morning that my comments are set for deletion on your blog. I respect that.

It was wonderous to serendipitously fall down your blog rabbit hole. You stated you did not provide spiritual direction through email or snail mail. However, I did enjoy relating to your blogs and releasing thoughts with the rocking regularity of a kitchen pressure cooker. Perhaps your mother used one and you can enjoy this comparison.

One of Fr. Michael's first and few comments to me was: "The spiritual journey. We go it alone." Fr. Cyril in a sermon regarding the death of Fr. DiSabella. "So many of them die alone". Jesus said, unless a grain of wheat dies, it provides no fruit.

Thank you for listening to me and I hope I did not offend you in any way. I'll remove this from my favorite list. One last thought, my vote on this picture:

Mikhail Baryshnikov!

Love, Maureen

Michael Dodd said...

Dear Maureen,
I am not sure why you say that your comments are set for delete on my blog. I generally have been publishing them. I moderate all comments to insure that nothing gets on that might offend members of my family, in particular my mother, who has strong opinions about language.
She did, BTW, use a pressure cooker.
At any rate, Best to you on your journey.
Michael