Monday, January 23, 2012

Weasel?

It is snowing this morning -- expect no significant accumulation -- and I was watching the birds around the bird feeder. There were lots of finches and chickadees in the trees, and I saw a juncoe for the first time in a while. (Tom had recently noted their absence.) There were a couple of doves on the ground, which is pretty common around here.

Then I noticed a flurry of activity behind the base of the post, what looked like a squirrel having a seizure. At first I figured it was just trying to dig down in the snow to get more seeds, but then I realized it was too big for a squirrel and seemed to be fighting with something. Assuming it was two squirrels battling over a sunflower seed, I went out onto the deck. Turns out it was no squirrel, but what looked to me like a weasel with a small bird or animal in its mouth. I only had time to look at it before it turned and disappeared into a tunnel in the snow.

I looked up photos of weasels and think that must be what I had seen. Tom is hoping it will hang around and get rid of some of the red squirrels and mice.

Updates as events warrant.

No comments: