Sunday, May 20, 2012

Birthday travels

For my birthday, Tom and I decided not to go TO anywhere, just to head west and see what we saw. We -- well, Tom -- drove through miles and miles of beautiful western Wisconsin countryside, past Amish farms and around one young couple in a buggy, through small towns with their Main Streets blocked off for fairs, over steep hills and small rivers, up and down a very winding road over Wildcat Mountain, over the even more winding Kickapoo River, through the coulee and ridge driftless region and had a Cajun lunch in "historic downtown La Crosse." After that we drove a ways up the Great River Road along the Mississippi before instructing Jack (the GPS dude voice) to take us home.

Mama had given me birthday money and instructions to take Tom out for a nice dinner. I did pay for lunch, but when we got home, we were both too tired to go out for dinner. There is a big auto show in the Dells this weekend, and it is a good time to avoid the town completely. So we had leftovers and went to get some ice cream. (Peggy -- thank you! -- had provided us with some cake earlier.)  I plan to take to Tom out for dinner at a favorite Italian restaurant later in the week.

Thanks to everyone for birthday greetings, cards and stuff. It was a great day weather-wise to be out and about, and I got to see some parts of Wisconsin I had not seen before.

No comments: