Monday, July 30, 2012

Dieting for the doctor (?)

My dental hygienist told me once that most people floss for two weeks before and two weeks after a dental appointment. It made me laugh, because at the time it was certainly true for me. I assured her I did floss regularly -- once every three months is regular, right? Now I am doing better.

At any rate, the whole do-it-to-fool-the-doctor approach to many things is a habit that is hard to break. Even knowing better, I still think if I could just watch my cholesterol for three or four days ...

Why do I mention this? Tom has a doctor's appointment on Wednesday. This afternoon, Monday, he went grocery shopping. Since I will be cooking tomorrow and was hoping he was not planning to use chicken, I asked what he had bought.

Tom: Ribs.

Me: Ribs?

Tom: Ribs! I'm unhappy about losing all the maple treess to the drought, my painting isn't going well and I need a treat. I ate too much popcorn and Dr. E___ is going to be upset with me because I weigh too much.

Me: So you decided to make up for eating too much popcorn by making ribs?

Tom: Yes.

Well, the boy does make him some good ribs.

And my next doctor's appointment is many months away ... I had better remember to floss tonight, though.

No comments: