Wednesday, July 10, 2013

There and back

I got back from Texas yesterday. I enjoyed my visit with my mother, and I got to see some other family members. This time I was not able to see any of my brother's family. Too much going on for them right now! I got to visit with a cousin who is also a writer, a couple of aunts and an uncle and another cousin who teaches in Whitehouse and who is very good to my mother. I also went by the Senior Center to visit with some folks I know there.

Here are some photos from the visit. Sunny told me to take lots of pictures, but I don't have her eye or skills to do much. But here are some.



First of all, the lady herself: Roxie Dodd. Lovely, isn't she?

Her house. (This is not the house I grew up in. My parents moved here in 2000.)


My aunt Bobbie, my mother and my cousin Teresa. Bobbie is my mother's younger sister. Teresa is the daughter of one of their brothers.


The back yard. That is mostly light in the picture, although there are some bare dirt patches.Texas has suffered from a lot of drought in the past few years,  and that combined with lots of shade has made for some suffering lawns. Those are cannas in the middle.


Spider lilies around one of the trees in the front yard.

This morning Tom and I worked a bit on the basement, getting a temporary work space set up for me so I can get back to a project I am doing for the Carmelites. We haven't seen or heard from the contractor for about six weeks, so it looks like finishing up will be our problem. Mostly Tom's problem, of course. I can sweep and mop and hold things up or down as instructed. But that's about the sum total of my building skills. We did get my section cleaned up, though, and a couple of tables set up. That's all I need. Except the motivation to get back to work! And looking at my checkbook may suffice for that.

4 comments:

Cynthia Dodd said...

So sorry that we were not able to see you on your recent visit to Texas. Our lives are so busy right now that it didn't seem possible to make the trip. I loved seeing the photos that you took while in Whitehouse. Sounds like you had a very nice visit.

Love and miss you!
Cynthia

Sunny said...

Oh my WORD!!! Wonderful photos!! Your mom is beautiful!! Such a lovely smile!! And you have her eyes!!! The Aunty and cousin are quite the Texas beauties too!!

Loved the house, the shade and the lillies too! Don't think I've ever seen a spider lily before!!
It's not exactly how I pictured Texas! I have relatives tha live near Galveston and I dont remember it being that lush and green during our visits! Absolutely gorgeous!!

Who says you don't have the eye or skills to capture such beauty in a photo? Pish-posh!

I'm so glad you has such a lovely trip- but I know you are glad to be back home with loved ones there!!

My question is.....how mad are the kittys that you deserted them> I could go off for a weekend and mine would act like I had beaten them. Wouldn't look at me for days!!! Completely ignored me.

Anyway, I really enjoyed sharing your visit!!! Welcome Back Michael!!!!!!!!!

Michael Dodd said...

Sunny,

Texas, of course, is so big that it has about five different climate regions. The part where my mother lives is very green, warm and humid. The trees are ginormous. But the soil tends to sandy, rocky and red. The area where I grew up is about 100 miles south (an 00 miles north of Galveston), pretty rolling hills, pine forests and so on. When the lived in the Panhandle, you could see for fifty miles because the place was flat and nothing was between you and the horizon. Cold in winter, blistering hot in summer.

My mother has lived in Texas all her life, but when they moved from East Texas up to the Panhandle, people asked her what state she was from. The accent was that different.

The cats got along without me, but Tom is not the easy touch that I am when it comes to snacks. He fed them and snacked them, but on a different schedule. They are now trying to convince me to follow Tom's feeding routine AS WELL AS mine, which would mean everyhting except a 2:00 a.m. feeding, I think.

Michael Dodd said...

Cynthia,

I know how busy you all were, and I understand why you can't make a quick trip over to see me. Same with me, trying to see you without eating up half my Texas time driving between Whitehouse and places northwest. Next time maybe I can arrange my travel to go through Borger/Perryton on the way to or from.