Tuesday, August 14, 2007

Rebates

As I have mentioned, I recently bought a new notebook computer. I am pretty much satisfied with it, but I am annoyed with the dealer/manufacturer/industry.

Now I have to say upfront that I got a really good deal on this package.

But having said that...

The advertisement says (I checked it again)"Save $200 instantly".

Turns out "instantly" means mail-in rebates.

Turns out to mail in the rebate, you have to go online, find your order and click on and then print out rebate forms -- formS -- because it is not one simple $200 rebate but four separate rebates that add up to $200. Ironically, although you have to do all this online searching, you could not order this online. You had to go into the store or call them. Why didn't they just mail the forms with the stuff?

Then you have to go through all the hoops to mail in the rebates -- print out multiple copies of the receipt, cut and paste bar codes, swear that you are not now and never have been a Mac fan...

Well, I am exaggerating a tiny bit.

Also, although the stuff comes with $200 worth of rebates, the fact is that one is an either/or -- depending on which router you got, you get $40 or $20, but not both. (My router gets me $20.) Another is $40 with a possibility of $20 more if you upgrade for more initial expense. So what I am actually being offered is a savings of only $160.

It is neither $200 nor instant.

I have read articles about why rebates are so popular with manufacturers: most people don't figure it is worth the hassle to send in all the paperwork, and so they buy the thing expecting to pay one price but wind up paying more to avoid the hassle of getting the deal they were promised.

Sorry, folks! I can't afford to ignore $200, so I'll do all the stuff I have to do to get it.

But it ain't right.

No comments: