Tuesday, April 29, 2008

dydd Mawrth

Oddly enough, the Welsh name for Tuesday -- dydd Mawrth -- looks more like the meaning of the name of this day than does the English. In Latin today is Martis dies, which means "Mars's Day." [Those of you with some Spanish see that it looks like martes, or mardi in French or martedi in Italian (that's for Cris).] The English name comes from the name of the Nordic god Tyr -- the god of war, and hence the equivalent of Mars.

At any rate, hope your Tuesday has not been warlike. Here in the Dells it was a pleasant, mostly sunny day. We did get some snow yesterday afternoon, but it melted almost as fast as it fell. Last night was cold -- down to 24 -- and we hope it is the last sub-freezing night for now.

Today I finished editing the pages of his dissertation that Vinko sent me last week, and I got that emailed back to him a couple of days earlier than I had expected. Of course, he still owes me ten more pages, but I think I will be able to turn that around pretty quickly. I was surprised, however, to discover that I spent almost seven hours on the 70 pages I just completed.

No comments: