Sunday, April 27, 2008

Sunday suiza

It was a cool but sunny day, and I had fun at the railway. With better weather, we had a bunch of families show up. The kids are great, so enthusiastic about the trains, and the parents seem to appreciate the casual, friendly atmosphere. It reminds me a bit of talking with the pilgrims and tourists who came to Holy Hill, and I think I am going to enjoy myself. Tom spent much of his day moving daylilies from near the tracks -- where the kids try to reach out from moving trains to grab them -- to other areas on the grounds.

This afternoon I cooked dinner. Rich is out of town (in Oklahoma, Angie, helping repair cars damaged by hailstorms), and we invited Peggy over for dinner. I had promised to make something Mexican for her some time ago, and I made enchiladas suizas: basically chicken enchiladas in a green sauce made with heavy cream. ¡Es un plato muy rico! I adapted a recipe supposedly invented at the Sanborn's Restaurant at the Casa de Aulzejos in the historic center of Mexico City. I remember learning about the Casa de Azulejos in Spanish class with Mrs. Burleson when I was in junior high, and it was a place where I regularly ate when I was spending summers in Mexico with the Carmelites.

As you can see from the photo, the exterior walls of the Casa de Azulejos are covered with tiles. The name means "House of Tiles." Originally built as a palace for the Marqués del Valle de Orizaba, the facade was covered with tiles in the 18th century. The interior is quite stunning: a Moorish patio and a mural by Orozco are just two of its special features. As I recall the story, the man who owned the mansion (which had been built in the seventeenth century with plain walls) courted a young woman whose father did not approve of him. The father thought the fellow would never amount to anything and sneered that he could not even afford decorative tiles for his house. When the Marqués came into his own, he had the house covered with tile to show that he was a success. It has been a restaurant, gift store and pharmacy since about 1920.

No comments: