Friday, January 2, 2009

Udderly absurd


I suppose I should have wished everyone a "Happy Moo Year!" That would have been more typical of Wisconsin humor (?).

Here is part of a local news story:
The Wisconsin Association of Fairs' Annual Convention is moving to the Chula Vista Resort in Wisconsin Dells with a convention theme of 'Farmer in the Dells, A Moooving Experience.' The forum takes place January 12-14.
It's funny, because they're serious.

I have to admit some of these things are unavoidable with a name like the Dells. When I told my doctor in Chicago back in 2006 that I was moving to Wisconsin Dells and that I would be living on part of the Scharbach's old farm, he insisted on taking me around to all the nurses to introduce them to "The Farmer in the Dells."

Other than that, he was an excellent doctor. (He's also the one who used to accuse me of not watching the news because my blood pressure is so good.)

Then a local cattle breeding outfit had their Christmas sign last year: Angus we have herd on high! If I could draw, I would have made a card out of that one. I even worked on some more lyrics:

Angus we have herd on high,
Gently mooing o'er the plain!
And the Guernseys send reply
Munching on their bovine grain.


Anyway, I can't draw, so you escaped having to deal with that.

No comments: