Wednesday, May 22, 2013

Weave me the sunshine

A college roommate sent me a CD he had put together, a pretty eclectic mix of music. I managed to transfer the songs to my MP3 player and have been enjoying them as background music while I walk down our road. The main problem is that a lot of it is good dance music and I have to restrain myself from hip-hopping all over the road. We live out in the country, but there is more and more traffic between the two golf resorts that are at either end of the road, and I am not sure I want to startle the people driving their fancy SUVs with my bad imitation of a scene from Footloose.

At any rate, one of the songs is by Peter, Paul and Mary: "Weave me the sunshine."



The lyrics made me think of the people suffering in Oklahoma. Here is an abbreviated version:

Weave, weave, weave me the sunshine  
Out of the falling rain.
 Weave me the hope of a new tomorrow  
And fill my cup again...

They say that the tree of love  
Will shine on me again;
Grows on the bank of the river of suffering.
 Shine on me again.

If only I could heal your sorrow, 
Shine on me again,
I'd help you to find your new tomorrow,
Shine on me again now.

Only you can find that mountain  
Out of the falling rain, 
 If you want to drink at the golden fountain: 
Shine on me again... 

The people of Oklahoma, of course, are not the only ones suffering today. I encourage you, if you are able, to make a donation to an organization like the Red Cross or perhaps to another one that helps people in your local area. Lately when I check out at some stores, they ask if I want to donate a dollar to specific charities. I am trying to make it a habit to do so when it is a group I believe does good. 

A dollar. I won't even notice it when my credit card bill comes through. 

Maybe my little dollars can be part of someone somewhere weaving sunshine out of the falling rain. 

3 comments:

Sunny said...

always a good idea.

John McGowan said...

Hi Michael, I have just read your translation of Jerome Gratian's 'Treatise on Melancholy'. Just to let you know that I have been translating a biography of Gratian since 2009, and Stephen Watson ocd has translated his autobiography. Just thought you might like to know this. John McGowan o.c.d.

John McGowan said...

Hi Michael, greetings from the UK. Liked your translation of Gratian's 'Treatise on Melancholy.' Just to let you know that I am translated an autobiography since 2009 and Stephen Watson o.c.d. has translated his autobiography. Thought you might like to know this. All the best. John McGowan o.c.d.