Friday, November 14, 2014

The most sincere pumpkin patch

The Riverside & Great Northern Railroad gives away free pumpkins to all the kids who ride the trains during the month of October, the last month the train operates each year because ... well, Wisconsin weather.

There were some pumpkins left over this year, and Tom was assigned to get rid of them. He brought some home and put a few on the front porch ...


and put more in the back yard around some woodpiles. If you look carefully, you can make them out in this photo I took from the deck.


The idea is for them to provide some food for the wildlife. At the moment, to be frank, the pumpkins are pretty much frozen. But we figure hungry animals will nibble away on them anyway. And if some pumpkins last through the winter, come spring they will thaw and provide some more nourishment to animals before turning into fertilizer for the soil. 

And who knows? Maybe next year we will have pumpkins growing back there.

1 comment:

Kirstin Dodd said...

The bumpy pumpkins were always my favorite. I appreciated their imperfections, and always picked them first. I guess I figured I would be a bumpy pumpkin myself.

I'm sure some animal would get at them before Spring, but you never know.