Monday, January 5, 2015

The kid has a point ...


Meditation in just about any form does tend to put things into perspective. In American culture we tend to think that it is a waste of time to sit around and not DO anything. As a result, we often do things that (1) do not need to be done, (2) are not the thing that needs to be done or (3) makes things worse than they were before we did anything.

This is not a plea for total passivity or a denunciation of the can-do spirit that has accomplished so much. But it is a suggestion that we need to, as I was once advised by a wise  man, pause when agitated.

I seem to be so much better at acting out of my agitation. All that does is keep the mud in the water stirred up so that it cannot settle. And then nothing becomes clear: not my mind, not my heart, not my spirit.

Thus endeth the rant-to-self for the day. Those of you who know what to do may continue as you were.

3 comments:

Sunny said...

Reading your book thru a second time. Favotite phrase of entire book....
"Electronic Familiars"...
You most certainly know how to turn a phrase!!!

Robert said...

A very good friend of mine gave me a meditation cd to try. Gonna give it a go this week.

Michael Dodd said...

Robert,
Hope you find it helpful. Be sure to give it some time.