Monday, August 15, 2011

Daddy

I just got back from Texas this evening. My father died peacefully in his sleep last Tuesday morning, August 9. The obituary notice is below. The photo was taken in December 2009.
Everything went well, and I think my mother and the rest of us are doing well. Thanks to those of you who were aware of this and sent messages of condolence. The family is grateful for your prayers and thoughts at this time.

Tom, ever generous, filled in at the library while I was away so that things there were as little disrupted as possible. As my mother said, he is a great friend.

My good friend in the Carmelites, Fr.Steven Payne, lost his father Larry to lymphoma two days after my father died. I commend his family to your prayers, too.

James Byron Dodd


Funeral services for James Byron Dodd, 89, of Whitehouse are scheduled for 2 p.m. Friday, Aug. 12, 2011, at Whitehouse Church of Christ with J.C. Tate officiating.

Following the service Mr. Dodd will be laid to rest in Whitehouse Cemetery under direction of Burks Walker Tippit Funeral Directors.

Mr. Dodd was born Sept. 17, 1921, in Hoschton, Ga. Byron served his country while in the United States Navy during World War II and retired as a teacher with Windham Independent School District. Mr. Dodd was a member of Whitehouse Church of Christ and lived in Whitehouse the past 15 years. He was preceded in death by brothers, Ray Dodd and Weldon Dodd; and sisters, Peggy Ray and Tacky Mitchum.

Byron is survived by his loving wife of 64 years, Roxie Mitchum Dodd of Whitehouse; sons, Michael Scott Dodd of Wisconsin Dells, Wis., and Ted Byron and wife Cynthia Dodd of Borger; brother, George Talmadge and wife Ann Dodd; brother-in-law, Rayburn Mitchum; sisters-in-law, Bobbie Mitchum Stevens and Florence Dodd; three grandchildren; and four great-grandchildren.

Pallbearers will be Randy Arnold, Vincent Broccolo, Justin Dodd, Billy Ray Duren, Acker Hanks and Jason Kirk. Honorary pallbearers will be The "42" Gang.

3 comments:

Jeffrey said...

So sorry about your daddy. My thoughts are with you.

Kristin said...

<3

Sunny said...

I'm so sorry to hear about your Dad, Michael.
No words can ease your grief right now- so I won't even try....I'll just keep you in my thoughts and prayers. Much Love to you and Tom.
xxx