Saturday, October 6, 2012

Six degrees of Sheldon Cooper

 Six degrees of separation is the idea that everyone is on average approximately six steps away, by way of introduction, from any other person in the world, so that a chain of "a friend of a friend" statements can be made, on average, to connect any two people in six steps or fewer. It was originally set out by Frigyes Karinthy and popularized by a play written by John Guare. (The movie starred Will Smith.)

My brother, Ted B, knows Howard Joel Wolowitz from the days when he worked for a computer firm. Howard Joel Wolowitz was once the partner of Bill Prady, one of the creators of my favorite television show, The Big Bang Theory. Prady thought that name -- Howard Joel Wolowitz -- was the perfect name for the Jewish nerd character they wrote into the show, and the real HJW gave permission for them to use his name.

The real HJW recently sent my brother (among others) an email about a visit he and his wife had made to the Bat Mitzvah of Prady's daughter. While in California, they also attended a taping of the show and met members of the cast.

So I figure the steps between me and Sheldon Cooper (actor Jim Parsons) are:
1.Me to Ted
2. Ted to the real HJW
3. The real HJW to Sheldon Cooper/Jim Parsons.

That's the short version. The full six steps could be
1. Me to Ted.
2. Ted to the real HJW
3. The real HJW to Bill Prady
4. Bill Prady to Chuck Lorre (the other creator of TBBT)
5. Chuck Lorre to the fake HJW (actor Simon  Helberg)
6. The fake HJW/Simon Helberg to Sheldon Cooper/Jim Parsons.

I only did it the long way because of the game Six Degrees of Kevin Bacon. And if you don't know about that, you can look it up.

And a shout out to my brother for making it all possible!

7 comments:

Jeffrey said...

Way cool :-)

We are huge Big Bang fans in our house. Having been an engineer and a software geek for many years, I can honestly say I've worked with people JUST like that. And have had some of those experiences :-)

Michael Dodd said...

BadgerBear,
I am accused by some of my family and friends of being rather Sheldonian myself. Peter even accused me of moving like Sheldon. I think our most endearing shared quality is the ready willingness to share our knowledge of the most trivial things, assuming naively that others will be as fascinated as we are.

It makes me sad to say that they seldom are.

Sunny said...

LOL...LOVE BBT!!!! I adore Sheldon, and Penny. I have been accused of being very Pennyish myself. And hubby Paul is very Sheldonian. Unlike Penny, tho, I LOVE learning new things from the Sheldons of the world....and more importantly, the Sheldonians of the world make me chuckle.
;-)

Asser Samak said...

Hi Michael,

sorry to impose .. I'm a big fan of TBBT and I've tried pretty much everything to get my hands on filming tickets from writing a script to book one online to trying to buy VIP ones .. nothing worked.
Now I'm just doing an experiment trying to find my 6 degrees of separation between myself and anyone on the show. And then I ran into this blog post :)
Would you be able to help me out ? That would be super awesome :D

Asser Samak,
Australia

Michael Dodd said...

Asser,
I am sorry that I am unable to contact you directly, but I will hope you check back here for a response.
I regret that I have no avenue of helping you get tickets to a taping of TBBT. My brother is no longer in contact with the real Howard Joel Wolowitz. In fact, my brother was badly injured in a violent attack in the workplace last summer and would not be able to do anything in this regard.
I can only encourage you to keep trying through the ordinary channels. I understand the program has been renewed for three more years, which should give you ample opportunity. Much as I love the show, I doubt they have three more years of material to offer. Just sayin'.
Best of luck!

Asser Samak said...

Many thanks Michael for the reply .. and sorry about what happened to your brother !
I knew it was a long shot anyway :) but I'll keep looking for my six degrees .. even if I don't get any tickets, will still be interesting to see if I can prove the theory true ;)
my FB is www.facebook.com/asamak would be nice if we'd stay in touch.

Thanks again.
Asser

Asser Samak said...

I agree with you though .. series that last that long have to run bland, but they are still hard to move on after.
However, watching an old episode from season 1 or 2 is gold :)