Monday, December 31, 2012

And another one ...


Someone said youth is when you are allowed to stay up until midnight on New Year's Eve, middle age is when you are forced to and old age is when no one can make you.

I won't say into which category I fall, but I expect to greet the New Year at some point in the wee morning hours when I get up to go to the bathroom.

This past year has been interesting to say the least. On February 29, Piper Leigh joined the Dodd clan with a birthday that is unique to us.  In July I retired from the library and in October was hired to do some freelance editing work for the Carmelite publications office. We had the mob for Thanksgiving instead of Christmas, which meant we got to celebrate Christmas Eve and Christmas Day dinners at neighbors' houses, making our own holidays bright and easy. We survived the summer drought and a December blizzard. The cats are still demanding snacks every time they wake up from a catnap. A former apartment-mate from Michigan State contacted me and it has been good renewing that friendship. I weaned myself off of Facebook again. I have a couple of writing projects underway, and every month brings in a little bit of royalty money. My books are available on Kindle and Nook now, and selling reasonably well on Kindle at least. The royalty money helps because my Social Security does not even cover the cost of my health insurance, much less any actual health care. But no need to talk about things like that, right?

There is not much news today and tomorrow will probably be calm, too. The weather will be dry but cold, with lows below zero at times this week. And the University of Wisconsin Badgers will be playing football somewhere ... California, is it? They expect clear weather and a high of 59 for the game. Poor them!


I hope you and yours enter into the new year with hope and that in every way things are getting better for you all. Certainly 2012 brought surprises and 2013 will, too. "Big wheel keep on turnin'," as the song goes, whether you want it to or not.

No comments: