Monday, March 18, 2013

To hate and hurt

May those whose hell it is to hate and hurt be turned into lovers bringing flowers.
 ~ Shantideva, 8th century Buddhist teacher
 
I ran across this prayer/wish/hope a couple of days ago. I have been pondering it a bit, trying to incorporate it into my own meditations.
 
One thing I noticed is that at first, I understood those who found themselves in this hell -- which means in this life, of course -- did so because they hated and hurt others.
 
Them I began to see that they hated and they themselves hurt, were suffering, were in pain and that this contributed in some way to their hate and the way they acted out in ways hurtful to others.
 
This made it easier for me to ask healing for them, ask that they be freed from the mental and physical hurts that they suffered.
 
And I realized that when I am moved to hate and to hurt someone, it is often because I feel hurt myself for some reason.
 
I don't know the original language of this, but I wonder if it might also be translated or interpreted as:
"May those whose hell it is to hate and hurt turn to love and flourish."
or "... turn to love and bloom."

No comments: