Thursday, June 13, 2013

Grumpy old man

There are only two things I don't like -
the way things are, and change.

Ran across this line today and it sounded way too familiar. 

I don't think of myself as particularly grumpy or critical, but when I take the time to listen to myself, I realize that I can be quite negative. One way I discover this is when I hear people in Group A discussing people in Group B negatively. And I realize that Group A people have never even met Group B people, and they are repeating things they have heard me say. Sometimes Group A people, after listening to me, think I don't like the Group B people, even though I do like them. 

This is not a good habit for me to have. It is not my only habit, and I hope that more of the time I am speaking good of others. But I want to make the good-speaking grow and the ill-speaking diminish. 

One of the things I don't like is an atmosphere of negativity. Another thing I don't like is having to change something in myself. But I guess working to change myself is the only way to have an impact on the way things are. I forget that I help make things the way they are.

1 comment:

Sunny said...

That whole thing sounds familiar to me too, Michael.

I used to be quite an optimist- but being around certain people have turned me into a whiney complaining pessimist...and I MISS the old me!!

The change kinda snuck up on me before I realized!!!

(oh- btw- I think the auto verification is changed on my blog now, lemme know if it's still there next time you go on. I'll prob be posting something new over the weekend!!)