Saturday, June 22, 2013

Stand up and work

I don't want to complain about the pace of the basement remodel ... okay, that's a lie. So don't ask.

Today on Fab.com (a site I highly recommend for the most amazing things you will never buy), I found this:

 
It may not be obvious at first glance, but this is a treadmill desk. According to the ad,
"Fitting the gym in between work and life can be a real drag. Luckily, this treadmill desk takes that predicament to task and gives you the option to work and walk at the same time. Featuring a whisper-soft motor, the desk includes a sturdy surface that can accommodate a monitor, laptop, or even a printer, and its comfortable armrests provide stability while you read or type. The innovative, height-adjustable MultiTable.com design even counts the number of steps you take and detects the impact of your foot on the treadmill. What are you waiting for? Step on it!"
They also sell desks at which you stand up while working. This is supposed to be good for your metabolism and help avoid some back and neck pains associated with sitting at a desk all day.

When the basement remodel is complete, my work area will not have a treadmill, but it will have a stand-up desk. That was part of the plan from the beginning, because my work at the library involved working at a regular desk and a stand-up counter. I like the variation and Tom designed my office accordingly.

If you are interested in the treadmill desk, look it up at Fab.com or Multitable.com. It costs about $1,500 and weighs 300 pounds. On the other hand it ships free, but you have to do some of the assembly. I would love to hear from anyone who gets one.

3 comments:

Sunny said...

In theory, it looks like a GREAT idea...but there is NO WAY I could ever walk and work on a computer, or write anything. Now, if you changed that treadmill to a sit down bicycle type deal, then I might give that a serious whirl!!

On that train of thought, I bought a new xbox kinect video game today....xbox/nike trainer. Cant wait to try it out after hubby finishes playing his new game.

How much longer do you think until the basement redo is finished, Michael? I know you are itching to have it completed!!!

Michael Dodd said...

I think I could do a bike-type thing, too. What I need is a computer that gets its power from me pedaling a bike. That would sure get the hours of exercise in!

As for the basement, I have no idea. There were complications -- long story, yada, yada, yada -- and now the contractor is basically doing it alone on his own when he gets some spare time. I suspect there is one day of his work to do, but he can't find a full day to do it. Tom will build the work stations, and he is fast and skillful. So I think when we get to his part of the deal, it will be a matter of very few days.

I am looking forward to it.

Tom tells me it would go faster if I would go do some of it, but he knows that if I try, I will just create more mess to be cleaned up. My best contribution is to stay out of the way and try to keep my griping to myself!

Sunny said...

*thinks Michael Dodd and she have a LOT in common!*