Sunday, September 29, 2013

Sundance and the Evil Rug

Thursday evening the area rugs for the living room and dining room arrived. Friday we got the old rugs up, Tom dragged them out to the pad in front of the garage to shampoo and I cleaned the floors. We got the new rugs in place and they are still flattening themselves out. Here are some photos of rugs and then rugs-with-furniture in place. This time I did not get everything neatly cleaned up before taking photos, but it had been a tiring few days!


Living room rug without cedar chest/coffee table


Living room with cedar chest/coffee table


Dining room without furniture


Dining room furnished

Now for the story about Sundance:


The Buddhists, you know, say everything is constantly changing. This is why cats are never Buddhists, no matter how a particular cat may appear to you. Change is not a nice word in the feline world. After the rugs went down, Cassidy mostly ignored them. Sundance, however, was offended and sniffed around for a while to indicate her suspicions. That was Friday.
Saturday morning when I gave the cats their breakfast treats (five small pieces), Sundance only ate one of hers. A few minutes later I heard her make a horrendous noise, and when I looked over, she was standing on the rug under the dining room table heaving away. Before she got anything out, I swooped in and tossed her onto the wood floor, where she promptly emptied her stomach. I got a paper towel to clean up and she ran over to the living room rug and began heaving again. A second time I managed to get her to the wood floor in time. While I went for another paper towel, she outmaneuvered me and got back onto the living room rug and coughed up what little was left in her belly. Since I was right there, I got it cleaned up and no damage was done.
It was obvious to me that her behavior had little if anything to do with what she had been eating. She was just determined to express her contempt for the new rugs.

No comments: