Thursday, September 18, 2014

I like to brag ...

about the woman I am tutoring.

 In the past week
  • she has been asked to serve as secretary for the parents' group at her son's Head Start school;
  • she has been asked by the Head Start director to hold a weekly session with the Spanish-speaking parents to help them understand the forms and policies and to help them with their English
  • she has decided to offer to teach some basic Spanish to her boss (who had asked if I were available to do that, but I declined)
She has made amazing progress in the last two years and has worked hard on her own to keep improving. I am very proud of her.

I told her that the best way to learn is to teach and that she will learn a lot from helping others. The Head Start director's encouragement is particularly significant, because she remembers when my student's older son was in the program and my student was the one who needed assistance. Now she can be trusted to assist! They originally had asked her to chair the parents' group, but she does not feel confident speaking in front of a large group. Still -- progress, progress, progress!

No comments: