Friday, September 4, 2009

Fall cleaning

I wasn't sure if I was going to have to work today or not, so I went in and got everything set up anyway. Roberta came in and will keep things going, but I will return to help her close up.

Proving that no good deed goes unpunished, I ran into Mary on my way out. She was a bit put out because, not knowing that I was coming in (since I didn't know if anyone else was going to show up), she had rushed to get there to get the money out of the safe for Whomever. So I got a bit of a reproof for not keeping her informed. She was right. I hadn't thought about the fact that all summer she has been getting the money to the staff Thursday and Friday mornings because those days are normally my days off. I thought I had told her that this week was different, but I must not have made it clear that I would handle the safe. I think we are clear on what will happen over the holiday weekend. Mary works very hard and I regret that my carelessness added to her stress this morning.

Anyway, for my day off, I went to Baraboo to get the district mail and paid a bill. I also dropped in to see Joe Screnock for a few minutes, because he had asked for some information about the library book sale coming up in a couple of weeks. I missed seeing Evelyn because she was in Madison meeting their daughter who was flying in from New Hampshire for the holiday weekend. Then I dropped some things off at the library and picked up a book that was on hold for Tom and one that was on hold for me.

Meanwhile, Tom had decided that the house had to be cleaned from top to bottom since Michelangelo is visiting. So I cleaned my bathroom, steam mopped the floor, vacuumed my room and straightened up. Tom took the area rugs from the living room and dining room (okay, they aren't rooms so much as areas) out and shampooed them. While he was doing that, I steam mopped the floors in the living and dining areas and the kitchen.

This mean furniture was all over the place, something that intrigued but did not please Cassidy and Sundance. It may not be obvious in that photo, but that is the dining table in the background, in the entrance hall for the nonce, with a couple of dining chairs in front. The cedar chest, almost invisible against the floor, normally serves as the coffee table and should be on the carpet in front of the sofa, which is out of sight.

The rugs seem to be drying quickly, and once they are back in place and all is returned to where it's supposed to be, the cats will settle down.

Until Michelangelo shows up ...

No comments: