Tuesday, September 22, 2009

On the road again ...

I have been in Texas for the past week, and tomorrow I pack my bags and head to Longview to catch the Texas Chief to Chicago. Tom will pick me up at Union Station, assuming Amtrak gets me there, Thursday afternoon and we will wend our way back to the Dells. He is in Chicago visiting Chris, so that works out well. Otherwise it would have involved trying to coordinate bus travel from Chicago to Madison and such.

Saw lots of people this trip -- Christine, Rayburn, Florence, Bobbie, Phyllis, Ted, Cynthia, Kirstin, Jason, Brooke, Jackson, some folks at the Senior Center (including Carol, who kindly agreed to go with us to Longview so that she could keep my mother company on the way back to Whitehouse after they drop me off at the train station), people at Prince of Peace Parish and so on. (If I forgot to mention anyone, put it down to my vanishing memory!)

I even made a couple of trips to the cemetery and visited the graves of some of the many Dodds and Mitchums and Hedricks and McCoys. I even noticed a tombstone with my name on it. Mama and Daddy have mine and Ted's names on theirs. I guess it is a thing now to include your children on your stone, even if they are not going to be buried there. Maybe it is because they won't be buried nearby. At any rate, I saw that a number of tombstones have this feature, something I don't recall having noticed before. But maybe it was because it was never MY name on a stone before!

On a lighter side, I got my mother set up on Twitter and Facebook. We'll see whether she likes it or not.

Time flew, but I'll just take the train.

No comments: