Sunday, April 4, 2010

Easter weekend

"Very early in the morning on the day after the Sabbath, while it was still dark ..." I always like that Mary Magdalene went to the tomb while it was still dark. According to the gospel story, Jesus had already risen, but she did not know that yet. That little notion always holds out to me the hope that the truly good has already happened, even if we are not yet aware of it.

Friday Tom and I went to Milwaukee, stopping off at Holy Hill, where I saw Fr. Matthias and picked up a few copies of the history booklet I wrote about the shrine. The archbishop of Milwaukee was out there, too, but I did not see him.

It was a very warm afternoon, part of which we spent at Whitnall Park, just enjoying the weather. Saturday was cooler and a bit rainy in the morning. We had lunch -- Indian food! -- with Bob Mitchell and then visited the Harley Davidson Museum. More interesting than I would have expected and the day had turned sunny by the time we left. Then back to the Dells to take Peter shopping for clothes at Kahl's to take advantage of a coupon, a sale (they ALWAYS have sales) and a no-sales-tax day. Tom got a $60 sweater for about $5, I got a tie tack and Peter got pants, shirt, tie, tie clasp and belt. I teased him about getting a Mormon missionary outfit -- all black with a plain white shirt.

Easter morning dawned sunny but coolish. There is a remote chance of a thunderstorm later in the day, and better chances for showers this week. We are several inches behind average on precipitation this year and the signs are warning of high fire risks. So we will hope for rain.

In other good news, the forsythia is blooming. The finches are starting to turn yellow for breeding season. On a sadder note, one of the albino squirrels was hit by a car down at the corner where they live.

4 comments:

Kristin said...

Is it for sale online? The Holy Hill thing you wrote??

Michael Dodd said...

I believe you can get the book by going to this web site:
http://giftstore.holyhill.com/holyhillshrine/product98.html

It is called Holy Hill: A Sacred and Majestic Place and costs $6.95.

Kristin said...

We got it today and Vince is reading it now. He wants to order another for his mother. I'll let him know you posted the link here.

Vincent said...

I am ordering a copy for my Mom and Dad in Florida, Holy Hill is one of their most favorite places in the world.