Saturday, March 26, 2011

Beasts

I have been reading Taoist philosophy lately. There are things about it I find quite attractive, probably because what I read is particularly from the contemplative tradition. The Discalced Carmelites are a contemplative Christian tradition and many similarities resonate with my three decades with the Carmelites.

Today I ran across this quote from Mencius (at left), with an additional comment by an unidentified thinker. This is Mencius:
The difference between human and animals is slight; common people obliterate it,superior people maintain it. Those who maintain it become sages; those who obliterate it become beasts.
And the comment:
When they obliterate it, they turn into beasts right away, not in another life after death.
There is certainly some arrogance in speaking of "superior" and "common" people, but if you can get past that, the point is well-taken. When I begin to act less than human, I will suffer the consequences here and now. In the Taoist cultural context, this means it does not happen when I am reincarnated as a snail. In the Christian context, it means I don't wait until hell.

Here.
Now.

Be Here Now. Not NoWhere.

No comments: