Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Back to volunteering

After writing for a couple of hours this morning, doing some banking and mail and so on, I went to the library to start my volunteering again.

Before I worked at the Kilbourn Public Library, I was a volunteer, and that contributed in no small way to my getting a job there eventually.  Now that I am retired, I decided to go back as a volunteer, putting in a couple of hours every week. The time went fast, it was great to see and visit with people and I came home feeling good. The Wo-Zha-Wa  Weekend Book Sale is Friday and Saturday of next week, and I signed us up to help with the setup on Thursday. Tom has been doing that for a few years. I used to help with it, but once I was working at the library, I was not involved. The book sale is a fund-raiser run by the Friends of the Library. That is not to say that the employees don't contribute to the project, but they are mainly busy keeping the library going before and during the sale itself.

Anyway, thought I'd put in another plug for volunteering wherever your interests lie. Our library is understaffed as it is, but the volunteers put in enough hours to make up for one full time employee. I am sure there are opportunities out there where you are, and one of them will make you feel great while you provide a service that might otherwise go by the wayside. And if, like I was back in the day, you are looking for an actual paying job -- becoming a volunteer is a good way to get your foot in the door.

I am not bragging about myself, BTW. Tom often puts in probably 40 hours a week or more for the various volunteer projects that engage him. My efforts are small potatoes in comparison, but fortunately it is not a contest. (Fortunate for me, that is!)

No comments: