Saturday, September 22, 2012

STV (Steve TV)


Yesterday on Facebook, I saw this picture on the Tangaza College timeline.That is the college attended by the Discalced Carmelite friar-seminarians in (Karen) Nairobi, Kenya. My friend, Fr. Steve Payne -- recently appointed Principal (think President) of the college -- is speaking to a television reporter about an event at the college. Although Facebook had lots of pictures, I could not find out anything about what was going on. So I emailed Steve and got this response:
Dear Michael,

I haven't seen the photos myself. In fact, I'm not even on Facebook! But the event in question was on Friday afternoon. Tangaza College was launching the "Kenya Youth for Peace Initiative" in collaboration with some other groups. Part of the project is to have a "Peace Caravan" that will go around the country organizing youth rallies for peace. (Part of the reason is that the poor youth were so badly manipulated in the last election to foment post-election violence.)

Anyway, a couple of the media outlets came, including "Citizen TV" which is owned by the Standard Media group. We watched the news last night and only saw about 3 seconds of the back of my head during a 10 second mention of the event. But if anything more substantial shows up in the newspaper or on TV, I'll let you know.

Peace,
Steve

No comments: