Thursday, September 27, 2012

It's not over till the fat clouds rain!

And they aren't raining yet.

Earlier this week I planted about 70 grape hyacinth bulbs. Instructions said to plant 4 inches deep. I watered the area first to soften the ground, as per Tom's direction. When I dug down three inches, I hit dry dust. I watered longer -- about an hour to an hour and a half all together -- and I was still hitting dry dust on the last row I put in.

Because the temperatures dropped to freezing, Tom took down the fountain and replaced it with the heated bird bath. The birds were not a problem, but the squirrels kept knocking it slightly off center and last night raccoons turned the whole thing over. All creatures great and small are looking for water. The squirrels have taken to tapping on the doors to the deck to get us do something. They are licking the deck furniture every morning to get the dew off it. It would be funny except that it is so not funny.

This is the little pond down the road from us. This is where Tom's Stein ancestors built the first farmhouse back in the 1840s, eventually moving away from the marshy mosquito-breeding ground. Dave Foster and his wife own that piece of the old homestead now. 





Below is a copy of that third picture with the normal water level indicated by the blue coloring:


No comments: