Thursday, August 8, 2013

Right speech



Some of you may recall that a couple of years ago, I decided to give up complaining for Lent. Tom finally pointed out that this resolution was destroying our dinner conversation, because apparently I had nothing to say if I couldn't complain.

It's not that funny!

Anyway, the last few days I have been giving some more thought to how much my habits of speech are far from what some traditions call right speech. So even though it's not Lent -- and what difference does that make? -- I though I could start working on doing better. So I started adding to my morning meditations:

Today may I be free from gossiping.
Today may I be free from lying.
Today may I be free from complaining.
Today my I be free from criticizing.
Today may I be free from speaking unkindly.

Today may my words be gentle.
Today may my words be kind.
Today may my words be peaceful.
Today may my words be calm.
Today may my words be encouraging.

One day at a time, as they say ...

2 comments:

Jeffrey said...

Don Miguel Ruiz has a book called "The Four Agreements". One of the agreements is to "be impeccable with your speech". It's much harder than it sounds.

Sunny said...

I'm too Southern to EVER be impeccable in my speech. We just aren't born that way!!!