Sunday, August 3, 2014

Art day -- not so much

Tom and I decided there was no place in particular we wanted to go today, and instead we opted for an art day at home. We went to get supplies and while we were shopping, he got a call from a couple of guys at the railroad who wanted to come to the house and consult him about something. He told them we would be home within a half hour.

I piddled around a bit with the Macavity collage, not wanting to get in the middle of something and have to stop when they showed up. Tom began  playing with a project where he melts crayons and drips them onto canvas to create abstracts. (Those are looking quite intriguing, to be honest.)

The railroad guys showed up a couple of hours later. As far as I could tell, there was no big issue, maybe they just wanted to get away. At any rate, Tom and they sat and talked in the basement where my art stuff and my writing stuff are located. So I killed time for an hour or so while they gabbed. When they were finally done and gone, I could not find the things I had been working on. Tom had moved them from the work table so he could put his small canvases there to dry. It took a while for him to locate it -- underneath a stack of clean shirts he had laid across the ironing board to remind him that he meant to get to them a week ago. Fortunately no paint got on the shirts, because I had been painting along one side of the main Macavity page with green, yellow and blue acrylics.
 


Not the most productive afternoon for me. I am still not satisfied with this. It needs one more thing -- but what? -- in the upper left corner. And my red thumb print in the lower right. But it is far enough along for the moment. Something will come to me. Or not.

Tom's things, on the other hand, look good but he prefers people not see works-in-progress. The colors are striking against a white background. He has done six 9"x 9" canvases so far. Don't know if he will do more, don't know if the ones he has done are finished, don't know if they are meant to be individually hung or belong together as one larger piece or as a set.

As the Korean Zen Master Seung Sahn says, "Only don't know."

Hey! I'm there.

1 comment:

Moving with Mitchell said...

I think "Only don't know" will be my new mantra.

As for the art, I love it!