Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Where there's a will ...

We met with the lawyer yesterday afternoon about the wills and so on. It went well and will cost us significantly less than originally anticipated.

My will, of course, is very simple because I own so very little. The plan is to handle most of my "bequests" through naming beneficiaries to various certificates of deposit through the bank itself. That way the money becomes available at the time of my death with a minimum of action needed on anyone's part. I will not be able to leave any pension or Social Security benefits to anyone, and I do not own real estate or even a car.

The lawyer is also drawing up a combined living-will/power-of-attorney-for-health-care-decisions for me, a power of attorney for financial matters and a document authorizing disposition of my remains. Again, I plan to have the disposition matters all arranged and pre-paid at a local funeral home, and all that will be required is that my representative notify them to put things into operation.

Once the papers are prepared, approved, signed and witnessed, I will see that everyone concerned gets a copy of what they need to know.

Yesterday morning I went for my massage, and that felt great. I have to admit that I came out of the meeting with the lawyer feeling light. I don't know how much to attribute to the lingering effects of the massage and how much to the fact that soon I will have the will and other things taken care of. As those of you who know me realize, it is not that I am likely to have much to leave behind. But it will be good to know it is arranged.

Meanwhile, in life as with hiking, travel light and leave only your footprints.

1 comment:

Kristin said...

:-( Thinking of you needing a will makes me sad.

Vince & I have one of course...Brinkley gets it all (we outlined everything we have and update it regularly)...with Justin serving as the executor.

And if something were to happen to us should she be younger than 18, he will take her in as his own and handle her finances for her.

Sad really...but if something happens, no one needs to argue or worry.

We also have our plots done, our foot stones paid for and in place...we now just have to organize our funerals and have them paid in advance.

Again, morbid...but I don't ever want her to even have to think about it.