Saturday, March 17, 2012

Family

These seem to be family-connected days.

The sad news first. My cousin Linda, only a few years my senior, died of cancer this past week. She lived with us for a short period while she was in elementary school, which always made me think of her as a semi-sister as well as a cousin. (This is how I feel about her sisters LaNelle and Kay who spent some time with us, too.) This is the second cousin I have lost within the past 13 months, as well as losing my father last summer. It has been a rough patch, but I guess this is what happens as we grow older. I think I lost some other, more distant relations, but they were people I knew only as names.

On a livelier note, Peter was here this past week on his spring break from teaching. Helen came down for a few days to visit while he was here. They each took off this morning, Peter heading south and Helen north. Tonight Tom and I go to Madison to see Lucy. She is participating in a roller derby bout at the Alliant Center.

The cats are readjusting to a less crowded house. They grew up with Helen and Peter, so they are not strangers. But you know how cats are about any change in the environment.

Weather is glorious: sunny, highs around 80 (26.6 C).

And happy St. Patrick's Day to one and all! May you find your pot of gold or at least see a rainbow. ;-)

On another note, I broke down and got a web cam and opened Skype and Logitech Vid accounts. I may break down further and reactivate Facebook. I am being dragged reluctantly into the present. But as Calvin said when being dragged off kicking and screaming to the bath tub, "They can make me do it, but they can't make me do it with dignity!"

2 comments:

Sunny said...

Lord have Mercy, Michael....so many loved ones lost in the last few months. You're in my prayers.

Michael Dodd said...

Yes, Sunny, and thank you for the remembrance. Besides the deaths I mentioned, one of my cousins (Linda's older sister) lost a grown daughter this past summer, and the other cousin who died last year lost a grandchild not long before his own death. Another grandchild of his is not expected to live long, so that part of the family is facing yet more grief.