Monday, March 5, 2012

Next Big Thing prediction

Tom and I watched 45 minutes of the pilot for ABC's GCB last night. I am going to go out on a limb and predict this will be a big hit.

Why? Because we both decided after 45 minutes of the hour-long program that
a) we would not be watching it every Sunday night; and
b) we had no desire to watch even the last fifteen minutes of the episode we were watching.

My experience has been that when I think a show is terrible, it is likely to explode across the dramasphere. (This does not mean that shows I like are doomed. Some of them do quite well, some implode. No predictive value there based on previous experience.)

The classic example of this in my case was the pilot for Dallas. Brother Michael Tiernan and I watched in in DC and I remember telling him confidently, "This won't be back next week."

Was I wrong or what?

Anyway, if you saw and enjoyed GCB, more power to you. As I say, I am not good at picking hits.

On a side note, why is it that shows set in Texas rarely get the accent right? It always sounds false. Reba was a notable exception, but she grew up in Oklahoma and knew whereof she accented.

Mama would remind me that Texas is so big there are different accents in different parts of the state. This is true. But that accent actors seem to think is Dallas leaves me cold. I didn't grow up in Dallas, but I lived there for almost a decade.

But I can't complain about any of this, can I, it still being Lent? So pass these off as mere observations, please.

No comments: