Saturday, June 2, 2012

Coming soon!






Well, we finally figured out how to manage it so that I can retire. My official retirement date will be June 30, 2012. In order to use up my paid vacation time, I will work my final day at the library on Saturday, June 23. When I brought the idea up with my boss, I thought it would be a bit further away, but the city/library policy seems to be to act fast. So ...

I am trying to get all the preparatory work done. My Social Security application has been sent in. I am working on getting my health insurance in place so that my new individual policy kicks in on July 1. I have most of the 14 page application filled out, but I need to get a few pieces of information from my doctor Monday to finish that and mail it in. My group insurance ends June 30. If there is a hang up, I will be able to continue with the group policy, paying the full premium -- which is steep! -- until my new policy is set.

I am also trying to work out exactly how to use up my vacation time and my comp time so that I am actually finished on June 23. I have figured out a couple of ways to do it. I am taking two days off next week anyway, and I will run the other ideas past my boss when I get back to work.

On other fronts, Peter was here for a week between school sessions. He seems to be doing quite well. I am proud of him! He headed back this morning and will return for about a month in July. I will be away part of that time, because I plan to go to Texas for a visit with my mother and other family folks after July 4.

My good friend from my Carmelite days, Fr. Steve Payne, is in the Midwest for a couple of conferences. He has a few free days and we plan to get together for lunch within the next few days. It has been a couple of years since I saw him, and after this, it will probably be another couple before we see each other again. It will be good to catch up.

Meanwhile I move along towards the next part of the journey.


2 comments:

Sunny said...

I'm so happy for you!!! I know you are looking forward to it, too!!!

Cathy @ WID said...

Your boss would love it if you stayed all summer...(and then the fall, and then...)!