Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Enchiladas suizas and gazpacho

This evening we are having Peggy over for dinner. I made enchiladas suizas, based on a recipe from the original Sanborns at the Casa de Aulejos in Mexico City. She is a big fan and it is fun to cook for someone who appreciates the effort. I kept thing simple, though. Just the enchiladas and gazpacho. I found an easy recipe for gazpacho recently and have been making it for myself. (I juiced it up a bit by adding chopped green pepper and a spritz of lemon just before serving.) Cold tomato soup may not sound all that hot -- pun intended -- but it is a refreshing start to a summer evening's dinner. And much lighter fare than beans and rice, much as I love those. Peggy is providing watermelon for dessert, a perfect ending to this sort of meal.


 The Casa de Azulejos has become something of a home away from home for many American tourists in Mexico City, housing a comfortable and reasonably priced courtyard restaurant, gift shop and -- at least when I was last there -- easy money exchange. The colonial building itself has exterior walls completely covered with  glazed ceramic tiles (azulejos), hence its popular name Casa de Azulejos or House of Tiles. For over two centuries, the property was held by the Condes [Counts] del Valle de Orizaba, one of the wealthiest families in Mexico. There is little documentation on the construction of the building, but a legend has grown up around its origin. It tells of a ne’er-do-well son of one of the Counts. Enraged by his son’s irresponsibility, the Count claims his son will “never build a house of tiles,” a Spanish saying that is the equivalent of saying that he will never amount to anything. The son takes heed, becomes rich, then builds literally the House of Tiles. Some think that it is more likely that the Countess Graciana (1683-1737) built the house. She moved from Puebla to Mexico City in 1708, and according to her will, she rebuilt the family mansion. Perhaps more likely but not nearly as good a story.

1 comment:

Sunny said...

Yum, I LOVE mexican foods....except for re-fried beans...I just never got used to the texture- oh- and Guacamole..I dont know what it is about it- but I think, again, it's the texture.

The past week or two I've been on a corn tortilla/taco shell/nacho chip binge...with homemade salsa or ESPECIALLY with pico de gallo(Which is also the ULTIMATE topping for a big ole cheeseburger if you ask ME!). My friend has an awesome black bean and cheese dip she makes that I make to eat with the chips in the wintertime(especially around SuperBowl Sunday).
I love the way you always give us some interesting facts that relates to your personal story on your blog. I've used some of those myself when I've been at parties here in England and everyone thinks I'm facinating!! You're making me into a Social Butterfly!! ;-)