Monday, June 25, 2012

Post-Retirement

Well, here it is, Monday morning and I am not going to have to work until 8:15 p.m. Such a deal! Since I decided to retire, I have been waking up around 5:00 every morning, but today I slept -- really slept -- until 8:00. Not sure why. Maybe just asserting that I can.


I survived a a week of goodbyes and small gifts. Kelli, the Activities Director at one of the nursing homes the Bookmobile visits, insisted on a picture with Kathie and me in front of the Bookmobile. That's Kelli on my right and Kathie on my left. Kathie has worked with me on the Bookmobile ever since I started and she remains to carry on with the new person. Who that will be is still unknown.

So what am I doing in my retirement? I plan to do not much for a while. This week I have set up a house cleaning schedule to prepare for guests. Michelangelo is due later this week and Helen will be coming while I am in Texas. I will clean a room a day -- leaving Tom to do his rooms -- and things should be presentable soon. Otherwise I plan to relax, ride the exercycle, read, listen to audiobooks, visit with friends and cook some meals. My work schedule has meant that Tom has carried the load of cooking dinners all the time, and now it is my turn to lend a hand.

I understand some friends have joined the readership here. Welcome! Now that I am not working full time, I may be blogging a bit more. But I really do plan on finishing some of the other writing projects I have underway: a second mystery novel, three short story collections, etc.

That's it for now. I have to get to work on the bathroom!

2 comments:

Sunny said...

Just to let you know, now that you're retired- you're gonna need to plan for some vacations to be able to get some rest from "projects". When you're working, you have scheduled times for work- and rest- and vacations...but once you retire, you kinda forget about actual vacations..... Just sayin'....
Hope you have a great visit in Texas!! And Congrats on Retirement!!

Michael Dodd said...

I have an idea I know what you mean, Sunny. When I was in the monastery, our day was highly structured as far as prayer and meals were concerned, and we did work around those activities. But since there were no specific hours set aside to work, many of us wound up working all the time, neglecting days off -- even though we were supposed to take one each week -- or cutting vacation time short. I think I worked harder then than after entering the regular work force. Add to that the fact that we spent about three and a half hours each day in private and communal prayer, and you can see it would fill up a week pretty well.

At any rate, I was just saying to Tom this morning that I realize I have no deadlines for things now and can do what needs doing when I feel like doing it. I think he worries that the result will be that I do nothing. I don't think that will happen.

I combine two conflicting qualities: laziness and over-structuring time. I am sure I will swing back and forth for a while between them until I find the appropriate retired rhythm.