Sunday, May 12, 2013

Birds

Yesterday an oriole showed up while I was on the phone with my mother. It was flapping around near the deck doors, attracted apparently by some plastic wrap on a useless hornet trap or maybe by the large stained glass panel that hangs inside the door. Sundance saw it and came running over, crouched down and tried to figure out how to get through the glass.

The oriole flew around quite a while, and I went out later and put a cut orange on the deck. Nothing after that. I figured the raccoon would take the fruit, but it was still there this morning. So I put a tablespoon of blackberry jelly on it -- not having any of the recommended grape. Later in the day the oriole was back, picking happily away at jelly and orange.

Saw my first towhee of the year, although I had heard their call already. Also the first cowbird, the only parasitic bird in the state, laying its eggs in the nests of other birds for hatching and raising. I am tempted to think, "Bad bird!", but they are also a reminder of the bison herds that they once followed across the prairies. Peg reports sighting a scarlet tanager and indigo bunting. Beautiful birds, both of them.

Lots of activity at the feeder today. Maybe the birds are stocking up in preparation for the expected sub-freezing temperatures tonight.

Hope everyone had a happy Mothers Day!

1 comment:

Sunny said...

I love watching the birdies from our roof area. I bring my camera and have taken some excellent shots. Unfortunately, not many of the birds because as soon as they hear the click- they fly away before the shutter snaps.
I'll keep trying tho. I love my camera.