Sunday, May 19, 2013

Sadness

The odds are you are unaware of the recent increase in violent crimes against gays (and those perceived as gays) internationally and here in the States. These stories do not often make a ripple in the media. Besides the sadness I feel because of the violence and the suffering of the victims and the attackers, I am sad to see how little public outcry one hears from religious leaders about what is happening. I am not surprised, and that fact saddens me even more.

The Buddha once prayed, "Let none deceive or despise another anywhere. Let none wish harm to another, in anger or in hate." I make that part of my daily meditation. It is so easy to wish harm and then to do harm in anger or in hate. I have to fight the temptation to think people who suffer do so because they deserve it. I was raised in a Christian home and was taught better than that.

1 comment:

Sunny said...

It's so sad that there is such intolerance in the world in this day and age. I thought surely we were more enlightened that that by now. Sad.