Saturday, May 11, 2013

Trying to work on my attitude

I added to my daily meditations the thought, "May those whose hell it is to hate and hurt find shelter in my heart." That may not make much sense to you, but for me it is a reminder that just about every religious and/or spiritual tradition agrees on one thing: we are supposed to love everyone. Everyone, even, as Someone famously said, those who hate us.

So instead of hating the haters, I am working on a different approach. I don't know that it will have any impact on them, but if it makes me a better person, that will be my little contribution to a better world. The other approach just has me adding my share of bitter.

Recently ran across a line about our minds being like tofu. Tofu has little flavor by itself, but it picks up the taste of what is has been soaking in. Time to soak in something with better flavor.

I have mentioned this before, but I have to keep reminding myself. Feel free to ignore it.

See how loving I am getting? I suppose it would have been more loving to say you could ignore this at the beginning of the post, but hey! This getting-better thing is a process.

No comments: