Sunday, March 23, 2014

Gratitude always comes first.




The title of this post is taken from something a friend of ours used to say ... before launching into a lengthy account of everything that had gone wrong in the past week.


The above image reminds me of a line from the Tao Te Ching, attributed to Lao Tzu: Those who know they have enough are rich.

For those who prefer a biblical injunction, there is always I Thessalonians 5:18: In every thing give thanks: for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus concerning you.


I ran across this one on a friend's blog a couple of days ago, and it came at a great moment for me. I hope I have loved much (if not always wisely) and lived gently (if not always bravely,) but "gracefully letting go" remains an ongoing challenge. Yet I know therein lies much of the secret for serenity. As a wise and experienced Discalced Carmelite nun told me years ago, "The longer I live, the more I realize that it's all about letting go."

Or just read John of the Cross.

No comments: