Friday, January 15, 2010

Another week, a three-day weekend!

Things are still going well at the library, and I think I have the hang of the dot-command system for the computer. Of course, in September, by which time this system will be automatic and a simple reflex, we are getting a new computer system and I [and everyone else] will have to learn that one!

On the plus sides -- there are more than one -- the new system will be mouse-driven and we won't have to remember a bunch of commands. The bookmobile computer will also be hooked into the main system, which means I will be able to do everything on the bookmobile that we can do at the main office AND I will not have to start each day downloading reports into the bookmobile laptop and end each day uploading reports from the laptop. It will be a nuisance learning a new system, but the advantages will be great once it is in place.

The same thing happened at the railroad when I worked there. I started as a volunteer in April 2007 and in July 2007 we got new software and so on. The new system was a vast improvement over what we had been doing and cut actual keying by at least 50%. But Roberta and I grumbled for a few weeks getting used to it.

On yet another bright side, we take off this evening to visit Helen and Jay in St. Paul. I have never been to Minnesota ["The Sunshine State"], and I am loking forward to it. Looks like the weather may be decent for mid-January, too -- no snow and 40 degrees 4.4 C) on Saturday. Add that to a three-day weekend and you have a happy camper.

No comments: