Sunday, January 31, 2010

Sunday summary

I talked to Mama and Daddy this morning as I do every Sunday before church. Later Tom and I headed to Madison to hit a bookstore (naturally) and a thrift store. I found a tie for Valentine's Day (from Land's End, so not too tacky) and one with clocks for whatever. I would like to have found something of a Groundhog Day nature to wear to work on Tuesday, but no such luck. I am making some fudge, however, to take to the library and have printed out a groundhog design to decorate the box.

On the way back from Madison, we stopped at a surplus place called Delaney's, south of Baraboo. It is a hoot. You can find all sorts of parts of machinery and tools, five-pound bags of gummi bears and cans of ravioli, Christmas wrap and pink hard hats. An interesting place, to say the least.

Then a quick stop of Kohl's to pick up a down-alternative comforter for my bed to replace my useless Sunbeam electric blanket.

And home to grade a paper for one of my distance-learning students and to grab some leftover lasagna before heading to a meeting. Looking forward to a Poirot mystery movie tonight, part of the Christmas gift I got from Mama and Daddy. Tomorrow, back to the library and only about a 50% chance of snow during the day.

Have a good night, everyone!

2 comments:

Steve F. said...

I would have suggested to get a mattress warmer instead - the warming of the cold sheets (along with the rising heat from below) is WAY superior to anything else I've ever felt.

The only thing I wish is that ours had a "really-low" setting - because the "low" setting is pretty toasty, and the "preheat" setting is somewhere near "convection oven". "Gentle warming" is what we were looking for, but this will do for now.

Michael Dodd said...

Steve, I considered getting an electric mattress pad. I had picked one up for my mother last fall when I was in Texas for a visit. I had been sleeping on top of the electric blanket (contrary to ALL safety guidelines), but it barely warms up the sheet, much less me. When I priced the electric mattress pads and electric blankets (even at Walmart prices), I discovered the down alternative cost about half what the electric stuff would cost. So, having spent all those years with a vow of poverty, I went for the less expensive option. So far, it has been quite nice.