Wednesday, March 17, 2010

St. Joseph and the Badgers

Earlier in the week, Kris at the library said, "Michael, you have to wear red on Friday."

"Because of St. Joseph?" I asked.

She looked totally blank. "I have no idea what that even means."

So I explained that the Polish (at least in Chicago) wear red on the feast of St. Joseph (March 19), I think to assert their presence after having been treated to all the faux-Irish hoopla on St. Patrick's Day. They drive around town with Polish flags (red and white) on their cars and so on.

Kris still looked confused, but she patiently explained that I was supposed to wear red (like all the other librarians) because of the Wisconsin Badgers, who would be playing their first game Friday in the NCAA basketball March Madness.


I am so out of it! But I guess I will wear my red-and-white retro shirt for St. Joseph and for the Badgers.

1 comment:

Sank said...

Funny, I just sent a St. Joesphs day card to my Sicilian friend.. This is the "anti"St Patty's day. If we was in New York his mother and Grandmother would be dragging him to church with some food for the St. Joe's ALter they set up.