Friday, June 24, 2011

Serendipity

One of the places the bookmobile visits every week is a day care center. In the summer, they have a program for primary school kids and we bring an assortment of books on the theme the director has chosen. Next week's theme is Superheroes, but she mentioned that she wanted books about real heroes as well. In looking through titles, I ran across a book about an unknown-to-me woman, Claudette Colvin, who as a teenager rebelled against segregation on public transportation in Alabama. Flipping through the book to see if it would be appropriate to the age-group, I saw this verse by black (and reportedly gay) American poet Langston Hughes:
I swear to the Lord
I still can't see
Why Democracy means
Everybody but me.
Some of us still can't see, Langston.

No comments: