Sunday, June 5, 2011

Reality check


First of all, I acknowledge that this looks a lot like one of my favorite comics, Pearls Before Swine, conceived and executed by the brilliant Stephan Pastis. I note, however, that I have altered it by inserting a halo over Rat. This is not only a visual change. In Pearls Rat is soooo not a saint. So I contend that I am not violating any copyright infringement because I have made substantive changes not only in the look but in the characterization in the strip.
In one Pearls strip, Rat writes something insulting about Goat in a book, but claims that his lawyer assures him that he cannot be sued because the character in the book is named Goatt. Pastis, I remind you, was a lawyer before becoming the brilliant artist and social commentator that he now is.
I figure it can't hurt my case to say nice things about him in case he does get on my case about the copyright thingy.
The reason I post this today, however, is that a previous post of mine from back in 2008 got a comment added today. To re-read the post and see the comment, click on this link.

It is satisfying to get the occasional feedback from a total stranger who has stumbled across this blog. Someone contacted me once about the big red shoe in the Dells, too, after I had written about it.

On a totally unrelated note, every now and again someone buys one of my books and I continue to get a few pence every month or so.

3 comments:

Always, Absolutely Amy said...

I have a picture of said Big Red Shoe- taken by me in 2005. It adorns my bedroom wall. I wanted to see your original post about it was unable to locate it here.

Rbfromrc said...

I found the shoe today, kind of eerie. I didn't have my camera, but I'll take it next trip.

Rbfromrc said...

I saw the shoe today, no camera! Next time!